PART 2...



                                                                                           
So, there’s a new girl in the city with no belongings of her own, thanks to the airline staff! I could understand we all are humans, we make mistakes and I wanted to understand that and take things peacefully but the cold weather there was in no mood to provide support as it remained the way it was, refusing to improve! Anyways, there was nothing that could’ve been done but to wait for at least 2 days for my luggage!
After a while the hosts of the organizing committee had arrived for my welcome when we further went to the guest house which was pre-booked for the members. I may have been the last one to arrive there as I saw most of the candidates already present and were settling down. We had an ice-breaking session between us considering the fact that we were all from different parts of the world! It was comforting to some extent and I was excited to the fact that I was with such diversified crowd. Even in our room, there was an interesting discussion over coffee which I have described the same in one of my blogs posted before: https://wordsmith97.blogspot.com/2020/02/humanity.html?m=1
It was time for a quick power nap, following which, the visit had been scheduled to the designated kiosks to get the ‘Bus Card’ which could be used for local commutes, as, many places were to be visited by us. But who would’ve thought that another ‘surprise cum shock’ was ready to hit me there as well! The cash which I had kept for such local affairs, I couldn’t see it in my wallet. Either I dropped it or forgot somewhere or someone must’ve stolen from me, couldn’t figure that out. This was like another demotivating setback right there after the airport incident. That was the day I realized that the stories shown in those traditional TV serials actually had a touch of truth in them, a girl enters a new city and suddenly all the ill things start to happen with her in her initial days! Well, I had to be there for almost 50 days and this was just the first, so I had to maintain my patience, I at least realized why digital payments carry so much importance nowadays! Now regarding the cash, obviously nothing could be done, “so let’s move on” was what I had to convince myself! Further I just decided to go back, relax and have a proper ‘ME time’ for the rest of the day.

………………..NEXT MORNING: KNEZ MIHAILOVA STREET………………..

Fortunately my yesterday’s decision had given me a good time to plan for my next day. I had heard about ‘Knez Mihailova Street’ situated in the heart of the city, which was well known for shopping and amusement and that the ‘localites’ often are found there shopping or chilling in the restaurants and many more. I decided to go there. The place was not quite far from where I was staying, just a 20 min walk, so next morning after getting ready I stepped out having a good promenade, interacting with people on my way, due to which I got to know that the elder & aged crowd there wasn’t that comfortable to interact in English although they understood it but, the younger chaps like me, were well versed, so that helped me in seeking the directions from them. I know! I could’ve used maps instead, but I like going old school sometimes, as along with helping you locate your destination, you also enjoy the benefit of communicating with the local people there. After all those are also one of the many things which you have in mind whenever you decide to visit somewhere!



I was at the ‘Knez Mihailova Street’. It is always crowded because it connects the 2 important places here viz. ‘Kalemegdan – The Fortress’ and the ‘City Centre’. It has a lot of restaurants, coffee shops, shops of famous brands and also some souvenir shops. There is also a monument dedicated to Knez Mihailo and that’s the most famous meeting point. I saw some Serbian delicacies there which included Proja, Karađorđeva, šnicla, Grašak, Pasulj, Burek, Sarma etc. and went on to try some of them as they all looked mouth watery! After that, it was time for some shopping.. I found some really unique things in the souvenir shops like ornaments, magnetic show pieces, sweets, toys, etc. They were very artistic and were designed in a way to depict the Serbian culture. Booze lovers could also try ‘Rakiya’ an alcoholic drink which is readily available at the shops and most preferred by the people! My curiosity about it pushed me to get one for me too! I’m sure I must’ve enjoyed it because I don’t remember much about that evening now!!

………………..KALEMEGDAN – THE FORTRESS………………..




Built on the confluence of Sava and Danube rivers, this monument sure has a lot of fan following as it is also the most visited spot in Serbia. It consists an old Citadel (Upper and Lower town) and also the Kalemegdan Park. As it is located at a huge height, it gives a great look out of ‘Great war Island’ and also the confluence of Sava and Danube rivers from above which adds to the list of interesting features of it.



The place was really calm and soothing, which is why at every hour it would be occupied by people taking a walk, sitting on the benches, even I had made it my favorite hangout spot. I loved sitting on the bench by the edge as I loved to witness the sunrise from there. The view of the sky turning colorful after the hours of darkness, along with the commencement of the chirping of birds sure used to give new hopes for the day and also a lot of energy to start the day! Some 2 – 3 days passed in this way when one day as I was on the bench with my eyes closed, relaxed, and out of nowhere, I got called out by a Serbian guy “Hey, Namaste!”

                                                   ** TO BE CONTINUED**

Comments

  1. It is always better to be supporter🙌

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic.. adventures from day 1... how about the continuation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks alot!! It is continued in part 2, further ones are in process. We shall come up with them soon!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend à Khandala

PART 1...